Saturday, April 19, 2008

Drafting Pitchers Late

One of my draft strategies is to draft hitters early and wait on pitchers. Look at the struggles of CC Sabathia early in this season. It isn't worth having a pitcher drafted in the first 4 rounds pitching like a glorified pitching coach. Another reason I always take pitchers late in drafts is their tendency to get injured. Pitchers put an enormous amount of strain on their arms when throwing at such high velocities. Erik Bedard of the Mariners is injured and like Sabathia was a high pick in most drafts. Those are two prime examples of high draft picks that have resulted in nothing more than stat draining players eating up roster spots.

Looking on the bright side, here are two pitchers who were drafted in the early to mid teens. Look at the value they have given owners.

Tim Lincecum - 23IP, 23H, 4ER, 0HR, 9BB, 27K's, and a 1.57ERA

Oliver Perez - 21.2IP, 20H, 6ER, 1HR, 12BB, 21K's, and a 2.49ERA

I drafted both players in the 10th and the 15th round respectively. I do have to admit to drafting Bedard early but I felt like I had to because people in the draft were snatching up premium pitchers during the 4th-7th rounds so I ended up drafting Bedard in the 6th round, which is a nice place to draft a high premium pitcher. I do try and find one pitcher in my drafts who is a true ace calibre starter. It sucks he is on the DL though.

My point is...draft pitchers later who have upside because if they don't pan out there are PLENTY of up and coming pitchers who will be available on the waiver wire. Also, pitchers are streaky and if you can closely watch pitchers throughout the season you see some pitchers have 2-3 great starts in a row but throw batting practice throughout the rest of their seasons. DRAFT HITTERS EARLY, worry about pitchers later.

Digg this
BallHype: hype it up!

No comments: